Gawad Kalinga transforms slums into peaceful and productive communities. It works with 2,000 communities in the Philippines and other nations where poverty exists, including Cambodia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea. Engaging all sectors of society, mobilizing them to work together to end poverty, the organization is building a global army of volunteers on the ground and online, working with schools, corporations and other organized institutions to mainstream a culture of caring and sharing. Gawad Kalinga means to “give care”.
Gawad Kalinga is building a nation empowered by people with faith and patriotism; a nation made up of caring and sharing communities, dedicated to eradicate poverty and restore human dignity. Gawad Kalinga has a wide-range of development programs that concern: child and youth development, community building, environment, food sufficiency, health, infrastructure, productivity.
This is the 7-vision points that Gawad Kalinga wants to implement:
- A Faith Community where residents are free to practice their religious belief in an atmosphere of mutual respect and reverence.
- A Peace Zone where neighbors live in harmony with each other and where conflicts are justly settled based on the higher principles of neighborly love and the common good.
- A Tourist Spot where the sense of beauty and order is regarded as an indispensable part of dignified human dwelling.
- A Productivity Center where human and natural resources are utilized to sustain the growth and development of the community.
- An Environmentally Healthy Community where residents practice the principles of proper utilization and preservation of the environment.
- An Empowered Community where individuals participate actively in governing the daily life and activities of their village.
- A Secure Community where residents are prepared to respond accordingly in the event of a natural or man-made calamity in order to preserve lives and property.
They currently are in several countries: Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Australia, Canada, Singapore, United States and some countries in Europe. Their international development may continue around the global to build new pro-active communities around the world.